We have a respectful and inclusive culture that values learning, creative problem solving, supportive teamwork, and shipping value. We focus on scale, reliability, performance and product agility, which means picking the right tool for the job, while also being pragmatic and flexible as needed.
Wirecutter is powered by a modern web stack consisting of a variety of languages and frameworks including:
- PHP – WordPress, Laravel
- Collaboratively tackle difficult and ambiguous problems as part of a cross-functional team.
- Work across the different phases of the software development lifecycle including estimating level-of-effort, identifying the best approach, building, performing QA testing, deploying, documenting, debugging, supporting features, and shipping security improvements.
- Participate and contribute to stand-ups, sprint planning, and retrospectives at the agile team level and up.
- Perform code reviews with helpful and meaningful feedback for your teammates.
- Research, document, note trade-offs and recommend potential solutions around future product features.
- Work collaboratively across the engineering department to ensure standard methodologies and processes are followed.
- Lead by example.
You think critically, provide helpful feedback to your co-workers, collaborate well with others, tackle problems that achieve business goals, and are biased towards action. You are self-aware, can clearly communicate complex ideas in writing or in person, and can get your work done without micromanagement.
You Should Have:
- Experience working in Node.js, GraphQL. WordPress experience is a bonus.
- Knowledge of software principles, application architecture, data structures, coding conventions, and security practices.
- Strong communication skills that allow you to convey complex ideas in writing or in person.
- Ability to use your technical skills to achieve business goals.
- Analytical and creative problem-solving skills.
- Empathy for application users and desire to improve their experiences.
- An interest in working with tools like Docker and Terraform
- Ideally, you have previously worked on a distributed or hybrid team.
Founded nine years ago by journalists fed up with the time and energy it takes to shop, Wirecutter developed a simpler approach to giving buying advice: just tell people exactly what to get in one single guide. The company’s purpose: to help people find great things, quickly and easily. Through rigorous testing, research, reporting, and whatever means necessary, they create straightforward recommendations that save readers from unnecessary stress, time, and effort. We then monetize these guides by enabling our readers to easily purchase the products they are interested in.
Wirecutter’s main office is located in Long Island City, Queens, NY. We have another small office located in Los Angeles. Wirecutter remains a highly remote culture, and our engineering department is 100% remote.
Right now, we are only eligible to hire in the following locations: AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, FL, GA, HA, IA, IL, MA, ME, MI, MN, MO, NH, NJ, NY, OH, OR, PA, TX, VA, WA.
The New York Times is committed to a diverse and inclusive workforce, one that reflects the varied global community we serve. Our journalism and the products we build in the service of that journalism greatly benefit from a range of perspectives, which can only come from diversity of all types, across our ranks, at all levels of the organization. Achieving true diversity and inclusion is the right thing to do. It is also the smart thing for our business. So we strongly encourage women, veterans, people with disabilities, people of color and gender nonconforming candidates to apply.