We’re looking for an engineer who can work on creating beautiful images algorithmically by enhancing and empowering our internal image design language and building flexible image processing tools. This can be a project based, part time, or full time role.
For this role/project, you’ll be working with images through code. You’ll contribute to and enhance our typescript based design language and build image processing tools as microservices in the language best suited to the task. You’ll work closely with other engineers to create images from code algorithmically, optimize and speed up rendering and delivery, and break pieces out into highly optimized microservices.
Please note that Canadian Resident candidates will be given preference.
(That doesn’t mean you have to be in Canada, just that you would qualify as a Canadian resident)
What you’ll do
- Use and build best practices to develop clean, efficient and reusable code
- Contribute to and shape the future of images as code and our design language
- Build highly optimized microservices to render, manipulate, modify, and convert images
- Continuously improve our codebase and drive architectural changes when necessary
What we offer
You’ll work with other passionate remote developers and help
build a product that will be shared with millions of people. We offer complete remote flexibility, part or full time roles, a flexible vacation policy (4 weeks), an annual company meetup (COVID permitting), a monthly allowance for coffees and snacks, and a program that lets you expense books of any kind to encourage learning. Our philosophy is simple—hire diverse, passionate people and foster a culture that empowers hard work and growth for everyone. We’ll try to do everything to make sure you feel nourished, motivated, and supported. We want communicative, talented, organized people who get things done, just like us.
- Personal site, demo site, links to previous work, or GitHub account with projects to showcase
- Experience deploying an app using a service like Netlify, AWS, Heroku, etc
- At least 3 years working as a software engineer OR a strong personal portfolio that demonstrates your abilities beyond your experience
Nice to have experience:
- CSS generally and specifically an understanding of the ins and outs of how it can be used in conjunction with SVGs
- Worked with SVGs, bonus points if that work was done programmatically
- Understanding of how fonts work (TTF, WOFF, etc)
- AWS services such as S3, Lambda, DynamoDB and EC2 specifically
- Docker/Container experience
- Terraform or other infrastructure as code
- Redis, and more specifically Elasticache
- Github actions
- A passion for or an interest in design
- Creating well-crafted tools for others including libraries and open source (include links to repos)
- Frontend experience in general, preferably Vue, to help build out tooling
- Stackoverflow account with questions/answers
- Language/API design
- C++ libs like librsvg, libvips, or node libraries like SVGjs, Raphael, D3, snap.js, Sharp, jimp, imagemagick, graphicsmagick
- Image rendering or processing in Go or other langs
To apply, please complete all of the following:
- Go through our Must & Nice to have list (see above) and list what skills/experience you have or don’t have
- Send a link to your github repo
- Send a short paragraph on your experience working with images in and from code
- Confirm you are happy to do video interview
- Confirm you are happy to complete a coding test
- Confirm you are happy to work on a small (paid) test project 1st, after completion you will be brought on part or full time depending on fit and availability.
- Give your expected hourly rate or expected salary
- Have good conversational English
ABSOLUTELY NO AGENCIES