Who we are
DNSFilter is a fast-paced cybersecurity company which has doubled its growth the past two years. We are a TechStars startup that supports over 1500+ organizations, including Fortune 500 customers like NVIDIA and Fastenal. Our company is fully remote, with staff in several countries.
Our secret sauce is an A.I. engine that performs real-time classification and threat detection. We use this in combination with our DNS resolver network to protect users from phishing/malware and enforce custom policies (block adult content, enforce SafeSearch etc). We also market the A.I. engine separately as Webshrinker, for use in domain analysis use cases.
2020 is set to be another amazing year for growth. We are looking for a skilled Business Intelligence Engineer to help fuel that growth by building out a robust system to track company KPIs across teams.
Who you are
- You have a growth-oriented mindset and an understanding that accurate data is foundational to driving business growth.
- You love visualizing data.
- You are a data nerd at heart and enjoy the challenge of bringing disparate data into a cohesive whole.
- You enjoy the faster pace of working for a growing startup company.
- You are detail and timeline oriented.
- You like the flexibility of working from home.
- Bonus: You have an affinity for data related to the Marketing & Sales funnel.
Why Work at DNSFilter?
- Ability to grow within the organization.
- Paid vacations and holidays.
- Full medical, dental, vision, AD&D, and short term disability benefits for USA employees.
- Company gatherings each year (most recently, we all spent a week near the beach in Colombia).
- Work from wherever you like including from home, a co-working space, or our offices in Washington, D.C. and Denver, CO (after covid subsides).
About the Business Intelligence Engineer position
We are seeking a skilled Business Intelligence Engineer to join the DNSFilter team.
Our company has experienced rapid growth the past few years. This has resulted in separate systems being utilized to create KPIs and perform analysis, with varying degrees of confidence in the underlying data. Your work will be instrumental in keeping teams focused and accountable to making data driven decisions as DNSFilter grows.
The core challenge you will solve is threefold:
– Unifying business data through the implementation of a Business Intelligence (BI) analytics platform using your recommended tool of choice (PowerBI, Tableau, Qlik, Cognos etc).
– Empowering team leaders by working with them to identify their top KPI measurements and implement solutions for integrating them into the BI platform.
– Enhance decision-making by producing charts, templates, and reporting dashboards that enable stakeholders to understand, analyze, and action on company data.
In brief, you will be responsible for the design and implementation of data modeling tools that allow business stakeholders to confidently make decisions. Strong candidates will have a thorough understanding of data warehousing tools, SQL, reporting techniques, and Business Intelligence best practices.
You will report to the Marketing Director. Compensation range for this position is $75 – $85k.
Here’s an overview of activities you’ll be involved in:
- Support program managers by creating KPI dashboards and the underlying data pipeline. Create visualization/dashboarding that results in efficient monitoring and debugging, and quicker identification of actionable insights.
- Enables capabilities available in the BI technology such as drill-through functionality, KPI and scorecard reporting, advanced visualizations including mapping and geospatial analysis, predictive analytics, and other capabilities as they arise.
- Respond to inquiries from managers regarding dashboards, processes, data, and data observations.
- Proactively identify business needs and recommend related requirements for reports and dashboards.
- Maintain a high-level of data quality awareness which includes working proactively on identifying and improving data quality in order to address reporting gaps.
- Communicate directly as needed with non-technical business users to understand business needs and related requirements for reports and dashboards.
- Perform data analysis, quality assurance, and testing.
- Support, design, and develop visualizations, dashboards and reports of varying complexity.
- Support, design, and develop data mappings and Extract, Transfer, Load (ETL) scripts of simple to medium complexity.
- Take ownership and participate in BI projects as needed and assigned.
As a member of the team, we require you to:
- Have respect for everyone in the company.
- Take ownership and accountability of your projects.
- Possess excellent written English skills, a detail-oriented work style, play nice with others, and have great time management.
- Be able to travel 5% of the year. We are a fully remote company, but we typically meet yearly for a week-long company summit in an exotic location!
Business Intelligence Engineer qualifications
- Preferred: Bachelor’s degree in a quantitative area such as math, statistics, computer science, engineering or equivalent experience.
- Preferred: Experience in a SaaS startup environment.
- 3+ years of experience as an engineer or developer in the Business Intelligence (BI) space.
- 3+ years of experience implementing and using a leading BI solution such as Microsoft Reporting Services, PowerBI, Tableau, Qlik, or Cognos.
- 3+ years of experience with SQL
- 2+ years of experience designing and implementing the data structures (conceptual, logical, physical & dimensional models) for BI reporting tools
- Strong grasp of ETL tools, data modeling, and big data tools (BigQuery, Snowflake)
- Proven track record in developing BI tools including creating interactive applications, dashboards, and reports for business end users
- Ability to identify and work within a multitude of data sources with the additional ability to structure data validation to ensure data integrity
- Effectively work with multiple stakeholders and teams to improve data and business processes