Imply is behind a data platform that’s used at some of the largest companies in the world to answer complex questions from trillions of events and data points in less than a second. To power our platform, we build and maintain Apache Druid, an open-source real-time analytical database used at thousands of companies. Our customers use Imply to answer questions from What do tweens in North Carolina who listen to Justin Bieber like to buy to What updates to our infrastructure have caused the CPU to spike when some customers from Europe hit our servers to Why are we seeing an increase in traffic going through our backbone from Japan as opposed to being routed internally?
We are a collaborative and supportive team. We measure our individual success by how well our team does and by how well we push each other to grow professionally. We believe teams should have significant say in what they build and how, and therefore should be responsible for the eventual success of what they’re building, whether it’s in ensuring customers can use it or sales people can sell it or support people can support it. As part of Imply, you’ll get exposure and ownership over how whatever you build fits not just with the rest of the product but with the rest of the org.
We’re looking to hire a Community Engineer to guide the Druid community through the architecture, development, and operations of the open-source Druid data store.
We’re a small team with a quickly growing community, so you’ll have a chance to have a big impact and wear multiple hats. Ideally, you have worked in a customer-facing role, are intrigued by cutting-edge technical challenges, and want to work with some of the largest and fastest big data architectures in the world.
What you’ll be doing with the Druid Community at Imply:
- Diagnose and isolate problems from anywhere within the Druid community, including Slack, Google Groups, Stack Overflow, etc
- Create useful content for the Druid community, including blogs, documentation, etc
- Help curate content for community events such as meetups, conferences, etc,
- Develop unique content for meetups and conferences.
- Build personal brand while elevating Apache Druid on and offline.
Required experience and skills:
- Fast on your feet and constantly responsive to the every-changing needs of the Druid community
- At least Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent in computer science or related field
- A team player mentality – we will succeed only as a strong team
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong problem-solving and troubleshooting fundamentals
- Experience in analyzing system, network, and application log files and system performance metrics to diagnose and troubleshoot problems
Having these will set you apart as a candidate:
- Prior participation in the Druid Community
- Knowledge and experience with big data architecture on-premise and in cloud environments like AWS
- Experience with streaming platforms such as Kafka and Kinesis
- Time spent building, administering Hadoop environments
- JVM operations experience: you eat garbage collection tuning configs for breakfast
- You know your way around a Linux system and are comfortable with built-in tools like top, iostat, lsof, and netstat
- Experience with related big data systems like Elasticsearch, InfluxDB, Pinot
- Experience in scripting / programming
Imply is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, color, gender identity or expression, marital status, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, race, religion, pregnancy, sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances.