UNICEF is known for its highly committed and skilled staff which is our greatest asset. Our central function is to support the successful implementation of UNICEF’s organizational objectives by managing a flexible, highly skilled, fully competent and motivated workforce. Human Resources has been identified time and time again as a critical factor for organizational success. The Division of Human Resources (DHR) is a strategic partner to all areas of the organization’s work.
Following COVID 19 outbreak, several human resources-related policies and special measures have been developed to better prepare and respond to Covid-19. DHR would like to hire a consultant to conduct a comprehensive review of all such policies/guidance notes and provide recommendations as to what could be sustained and adopted for post COVID times. The findings will inform HR’s policies and practices as the Organization continues to improve the way we work and support staff during COVID pandemic. The consultant will work remotely and will report to Chief, Business Partner Team working in close partnership with a designated project advisory team. He/she will partner with stakeholders and policy/function owners to provide support and best practices as they create content (policies, procedures, FAQ’s, user guides etc..). The findings will also inform the Humanitarian Review.
Key Duties & Tasks
- Participate in meetings with the project team to plan on research methodology, key focus areas, workplan, details of expected deliverables;
- Conduct research (both online and direct conversations) on (i) current policies and administrative guidance; (ii) special measures and amendments to the polices that have been issued during COVID-19;
- Analyze the pros and cons of special measures and identify lessons learned;
- Research, gather and bring knowledge on initiatives and changes in other UN organizations who are working on building a more agile UN to identify and address common business challenges post COVID;
- Identify possible opportunities for UNICEF to further integrate and adopt the special measures or its variations into regular policies;
- Synthesize the research results, analysis, and recommendations for UNICEF;
- Present a summary of the research outcome and recommendations to a select audience of UNICEF;
- Present an outline on research methodology and work schedule with a plan of action
- Present good practices on similar initiatives and changes in other UN organizations and incorporate findings to feed in this research to address common challenges.
- Produce a research report based on analysis of findings with clear recommendations;
- Organize a presentation session with HR Business Partner Team and relevant stakeholders on the findings.
Qualifications And Experience
- University degree in Organizational Psychology, Human Resources Management, Business Administration, Public Administration, or a relevant social sciences field. A Postgraduate degree is preferred.
- Work experience
- At least eight years of experience in researching and advising on policy creation, talent acquisition, staff development, performance management, and/or or operational improvement services in international organizations is required. Experience in change management and project management will be considered an asset.
- Familiarity with United Nations Staff Rules is desired. Sound knowledge and understanding of HR policies and procedures and inter-agency relations is an asset.
- Experience in both public and private sectors is desirable.
- Knowledge/understanding about the UN system and UNICEF is an advantage.
- Other skills
- Proficient in English. Candidates fluent in English and another UN language will have competitive advantage.
- Excellent research and analytical skills; strong communication and interpersonal skills;
- Good network in Human Resources; good judgment, high sense of responsibility, tact and discretion.
This work is expected to be covered in 40 days spread over a period of 3 months. The consultant will be paid on a daily rate based on actual number of days during this period. Payment of fee will be made upon satisfactory submission of all deliverables.
Interested candidates can submit an updated CV with a proposed daily consultancy rate no later than 16 July 2020.
- Total Years Experience 5-10