Do you enjoy helping customers?
Want to start 2021 with a little gravy money?
Do you want to help fellow YNABers start on the right foot this coming New Year?
If you answered yes to all of these questions—read on!
We are looking for friendly, technically-savvy Seasonal Customer Support Reps to help us with our New Year’s Rush! This is a temporary, part-time (approximately 25 hours a week), remote position, starting in mid-November 2020 and lasting through mid-February 2021. If you’re somewhat of a YNAB wizard already, and are known for being helpful, patient, and awesome, we want to hear from you!
A Bit About Us
We build the best budgeting software around—YNAB (also called You Need a Budget if you have a lot of extra time on your hands for all those syllables)! For more than a decade, people have been using YNAB and then telling their friends and family what a difference it has made in their lives. We’re profitable, bootstrapped, and growing. YNAB started in 2004 and we haven’t taken any outside funding—we’re in it for the long haul.
We love our YNAB customers, and we want to make sure they love their support experience. You’ll look forward to every email, because it’s an opportunity to help another person gain control of their money and become a better budgeter.
We have one overarching requirement when it comes to joining our team—even temporarily: our Core Values have to really click with you. If you’re nodding emphatically while reading it, you’ll probably fit right in!
More about our perfect Seasonal Support Rep…
January is our busiest time of the year! We receive thousands of messages from old and new YNABers alike who want to start off the year on the right foot. We want you to join our dedicated support team to help us answer each of these messages in a friendly and timely manner.
You will be the face of YNAB. We’ll train you to answer the most common questions our users have so you’ll be able to make a difference from your very first shift.
You won’t mind answering the same question multiple times in the same day, because it’s a different customer each time—another chance to make someone’s day.
You’re also able to change gears relatively quickly. You may answer three credit card questions in a row, then effortlessly switch to a direct import issue when you come across it.
You manage to exceed expectations even when you deliver a different answer than the customer was hoping for.
You know that speed of response is extremely important, but you can walk that fine line between speed and accuracy. You are a master of being direct and friendly within the same sentence.
You’re a team player. You know that your performance impacts the team as a whole, and are constantly striving to make yourself, and thus the team, better.
You love taking that one little extra step beyond what’s expected. You’re creative in that way.
Who You’d Be Working With:
Natalie & Renae make up the support onboarding team at YNAB, which means they have the incredible job of walking you through all the ins and outs of YNAB support. Natalie manages the support onboarding team and Renae is the senior support specialist who’s always willing to lend a hand. They’re available to answer questions, support you in your 1:1 meetings, and give plenty of virtual high-fives.
Your team of fellow seasonal support reps will likely be some of the best people you’ve ever worked with. You may be spread over the globe, but you’ll come together in your Slack channel for a quick hello or a gif battle before hopping into the queue.
A Day in the Life:
You’re typically scheduled for a five hour shift, but things are busy in the queue this week and you have some flexibility in your schedule, so you offered to work six hours today. That extra hour means even more users you get to wow with your responses.
You start your shift by checking for any recent updates and announcements. Once caught up there, you close Slack to minimize distractions as you head into the queue.
Your first stop is your follow-ups. You had yesterday off, so your teammates took care of most of them, but there are a few that came in earlier this morning—including some from users letting you know your last responses solved their issues perfectly, so your day is off to a great start!
Then, you head to the back of the queue and pick up a couple of the oldest conversations. You’re often surprised by the complexity of the questions you see, but you’re excited for the challenge each one brings. And you know you can skip the ones beyond your level, and plan for some time out of the queue to fill in those knowledge gaps.
Today you have your one-to-one with your manager, so you pop in your headphones and hop on a video call to talk about your metrics, goals, and some tricky conversations you want a second opinion on.
Before you know it, your shift is over and it’s time to clock out!
You’re who we’re looking for if:
- You’ll be able to reply to 8 emails per hour.
- You’re very tech-savvy and feel confident learning and running multiple programs at once.
- You own your own computer (a tablet or Chromebook won’t cut it for some of the systems we use).
- You can commit to a set schedule of 25 hours per week spread over 5 shifts. At least one of those shifts will be on Saturday or Sunday.
- You don’t have any time-off planned for January. Since it’s our busiest month, we need the entire team around to help out.
- You understand how every support response is an expression of the YNAB core values and brand.
- Other people consider you a stellar communicator.
- You love making people happy.
- People thank you when you deliver difficult news. You’re that good.
- You enjoy trying things you’ve never done before.
- You aren’t afraid to ask questions.
- You are wildly productive and independent, but a team-player at heart.
- You already use and love YNAB.
- You have Customer Support experience.
- You live in a timezone other than Pacific / Mountain / Central / Eastern.
Pay for this seasonal position will be $16 per hour.
How to Apply
Please note that while YNAB is fully remote, because this particular role is a short-term, temporary position, you must either live outside the U.S. or live in one of the following states: Arizona, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Montana, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, Washington, Wisconsin.
- Write a cover letter (attached as a PDF) introducing yourself explaining why this position interests you and why you would be a great fit. Cover letters are meant to sell, so sell us!
- On a separate page of your cover letter, answer the following questions (with each response being about a paragraph in length):
- What is your secret to great customer support?
- What are your favorite and least favorite parts of your current (or most recent) job?
- Tell us about a time when you had to learn something new to excel at your job.
- What hours of the day would you be available to work? What days of the week are off limits?
- Attach your resume as a PDF.
- Deadline for applications is 11:59pm ET on September 14, 2020. Firm. It’s a real deadline.