Help build amazing new game-based learning experiences for students around the world! CodeCombat’s new Computer Science program, Ozaria, teaches kids how to code through a fantasy game inspired by works such as Avatar the Last Airbender, She-Ra and the Princesses of Power! As Lead Artist, you will be responsible for the look of Ozaria. You will collaborate with designers, writers, and engineers to maintain the current style of Ozaria while creating exciting new content.
What You’ll Do
- Tell inclusive, visual stories that appeal to diverse audiences
- Manage a remote, outsourced art team by providing task descriptions, art prompts, and feedback
- Collaborate with a high-level, creative worldbuilding team, alongside experienced game designers and educators
- Establish/maintain visual style and asset functionality
- Collaborate with the design team to create new game locations, characters, and props that support the design and learning goals for new content
- Oversee and maintain Ozaria’s unique visual style from blue sky concept to in-game implementation
- Field in-game art asset requests for two video game platforms that differ in look and feel (CodeCombat & Ozaria)
- Collaborate with engineering and design to troubleshoot art asset UI/UX problems and pipeline bugsHelp build future art teams for the company
Who You Are
- Success guiding an art team and collaborating with engineering and design on long-term projects
- Strong communication and writing skills, documentation skills, ability to collaborate across time zones
- Experience using Adobe Photoshop and Animate
- Experience shipping and maintaining live games, preferably 2D or 2.5D games
- Self-directed with strong organizational skills
- Experience managing and giving feedback to outsourced teams and contractors
- Ability to translate story prompts and learning goals into game environments and characters
- Ability to work with UI/UX designer to establish a consistent look and feel across the entire in-game experience
- Self-starter with a strong desire to take the initiative to improve the product
- Responsible, motivated, and flexible
Bonus Points (nice to have, but not required)
- Experience with HTML-based engines and creating web assets
- UI/UX design experience: contribute to UI/UX iteration on new and existing features, design UI assets, and create implementation guides for engineers
- Ability to create concept art for narrative points, levels, cinematics, etc.
- Passion for making education more engaging through game-based learning, or experience working on an educational game/application
Who We Are
CodeCombat is seeking to reinvent the way that computer science is taught, both at home and in the classroom. We’re focused on gamifying the classroom and home learning environments to create a more effective and engaging space for children to learn computer science. In other words–we teach coding with video games! Our programming games are sold to schools and parents around the world.
We are a small, highly collaborative team dedicated to providing an enjoyable, meaningful place to work. Team members pursue a healthy work/life balance with flexible working hours. All of our team members work remotely from all around the world, with concentrations in San Francisco and Beijing.
Our work is purposeful.
We bring our personal best every day, because our game-based learning can be life-changing for young people.
Strength comes from interdependence.
We recognize that each of us is central to the mission of CodeCombat. We know our differences create strength and resilience. We engage one another with respect for who we are, not only what we do. We create community with intention, because we need each other–and because it’s fun.
Kind, not just “nice”.
We don’t let fear of not being “nice” get in the way of the direct communication that underpins healthy relationships. We build strong connections through honest dialogue, even when the conversations are difficult.
Structure can be liberating.
Transparent processes let us focus on making the right decisions–and they create channels for diverse voices to speak. Eliminate information silos and shadow structures; create known communication channels and clear responsibilities.
We can operate at any speed.
We’re thoughtful about how fast we go. We pay attention when the lights change. Sometimes we walk.
Learning and growth go hand-in-hand.
Every experience is an opportunity to learn, and our team is growing every day. When we think we know it all, it means we have more to learn.
CodeCombat is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will be considered without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, or age. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.