Ha Nguyen says, “Build products customers love — not like. It’s not ‘nice’ or ‘fine.’ People have to love it so much they’ll tell their friends about it. That’s when you know you’ve hit gold.”
Ever worked on a product where the requirements were dictated to you? Not at Help Scout. We believe in human-centered design, autonomous teams, and the customer breaking the tie. Which means you will be working on a cross-functional team with engineering and design who all share the same focus: learning from our customers and using that knowledge to decide what problems to solve and how to solve them. This is why we look for practitioners who are experienced design thinkers, good at understanding people, and are driven by the love of building products that customers love.
About the role:
- Starting with qualitative and quantitative research, and partnering with Sales and Marketing, your job is to lead your team in deeply understanding the problems you need to solve for our customers.
- You will leverage product synthesis frameworks such as personas, journey maps, interview breakdowns, and other methodologies to create clear insights that the team can make decisions around.
- Writing insightful, clear, and helpful product briefs is part of daily work that ensures everyone on the team has the context they need.
- You will be the voice of the business within the team. You deeply understand the market, emerging trends, and where the business opportunities lie, and use this to inform vision, prioritization, roadmap, and strategy.
- Most of your time will be spent working hands-on with cross-functional design and engineering teams to design solutions and deliver value to our customers that also make sense for Help Scout.
- You’ll be responsible for the successful launch of everything the team ships, which means being accountable for the quality of the solution and the impact that it has on both customers and the business. You’ll define meaningful outcomes and measure results against those standards to make sure we’re always meeting our high bar of excellence.
- You provide thought leadership, iterating tools, process, and techniques to help define better ways of working, taking advantage of technological advancements and cutting edge practices.
- You are a skilled facilitator and collaborator with high emotional intelligence. You know the best results happen when a team has psychological safety and is working well together. You constantly inspire them by providing context(the why) and strong evidence of the customer and business value of what they’re working on.
- You are driven by making things people love to use. You are excited by solving complex problems in the simplest possible way, and know what tools to apply when in order to get there.
- You’re able to identify what a great product looks and feels like, and have the confidence to challenge the team to produce the best possible result when you know it’s not up to standard.
- You are thoughtful, organized, and disciplined. You have a bias to action, take initiative and ownership to see things through to completion.
- You’re comfortable and confident in a remote work setting.
- You’re located between UTC-5 and UTC+1. For example, you could work 9-5 from either Nova Scotia/Boston/Brazil or UK/France.
Experience you’ll need:
- A strong track record of employing human centered design in discovering and delivering successful digital customer experiences with cross functional teams
- Leading with qualitative and quantitative customer research
- Facilitating team collaboration and problem solving
- Managing the balance between business and customer needs
- An analytical approach to understanding performance and testing new features
- Outstanding communication skills, both verbally and in writing, with the ability to take complex and technical subjects and break them down using clear, simple writing.
- Experience or understanding of how to work and collaborate with a remote, distributed team.
Competitive salary – Our salary formula is public to all employees (but doesn’t divulge your specific salary) and we update it at least once per year. Your salary is the same no matter where you live. Our goal is to pay at or above the market rate of a US-based tech hub like Boston or Seattle.
Health and dental insurance – We cover you and your family’s health/dental insurance 100%. If you are based in the US, we’ll cover you on our Aetna policy. If you’re based outside the US, we’ll reimburse your out-of-pocket health and dental insurance costs.
Long-term/short-term disability insurance & life insurance – we cover 100% of the premiums for LT/ST disability insurance and base life insurance. You also have the option to purchase supplementary life insurance through our provider (currently US only).
Flexible vacation – Take time off when you need it! We recommend 3-4 weeks in addition to public holidays, but there are no firm rules. We trust you.
Sabbatical – After you’ve been at Help Scout for 4 years, you get a month of paid vacation (in addition to regular vacation) and $2,500 to spend towards travel, learning, projects or anything else during your time off. Read about what our CEO did.
Paid parental leave, including adoption – 12 weeks of paid leave for all new parents.
401k with 1% match– via Betterment for Business (currently US only)
Personal Development stipend – Up to $1,800 per year to improve your craft
Great tools – Each employee will be provided with a Mac laptop and display (or equivalent equipment of choice). We’ll also purchase any additional software or hardware you need.
Home office stipend – Every new hire gets $1,500 USD to furnish their home office, and up to $350 USD per month if you’d like to rent a co-working desk somewhere.
Complete transparency – Everyone has full access to business metrics and financial information about the company.