Netlify is hiring a remote Senior Node.JS Engineer. This is a full-time position that is 100% remote with no geographical restrictions. Work remotely from anywhere. Netlify – All-in-one platform for automating modern web projects.
At Netlify, we’re building a platform to empower digital designers and developers to build better, more elaborate web projects than ever before. We’re aiming to change the landscape of modern web development. Netlify currently serves more than 1,000,000 developers worldwide.
Netlify is a diverse group of incredible talent from all over the world. We’re ~44% woman or non-binary, and are composed of more than a fourth as many nationalities as we are team members.
We recently raised $63M in Series C funding to bring forward the next generation of tooling for a more accessible web. Among our investors are Andreessen Horowitz, Kleiner Perkins, EQT Ventures as well as the founders of GitHub, Slack, Figma and Yelp. This latest round brings Netlify’s funding raised in total to $108M to date.
About the team:
The Netlify Dev team builds and maintains the Netlify Build and CLI projects, which are the primary programmatic entry points for developers into the Netlify platform. Our team also manages a number of other open source repos.
If you’re a Node engineer that enjoys making developers’ lives easier and have a soft spot for open source, you’ll love what we do! Our team also interfaces and cross contributes with other backend teams and works on projects in languages like Go and Rust (and even Deno!), so there’s an opportunity to work and grow beyond Node. Our team is globally distributed and biased toward asynchronous planning and communication, meaning less meetings and more execution.
About the opportunity
As a Node Engineer with our product team, you’ll be helping developers to be successful using Netlify from any development environment through building the tools that our customers use in their day-to-day. With our team, you’ll be designing and implementing new features in our CLI, Netlify Build, and other tools, as well as growing the usage of Netlify tools in development environments. You’ll have the opportunity to shape and help define what is Netlify’s product team by contributing to our team processes, documentation, and product launches. In this role, you’ll be empowering developers to work with the Netlify platform locally, which is a critical usability component for any Netlify customer. You’ll also be in the front line of interaction with the Netlify OSS contributor community and ecosystem.
If you like to identify issues & having ownership of defining the problems that you’re solving, you’ll love our team! We have product management to provide overall guidance, but there’s room to figure out what we’re doing as an early-stage startup. We’re working specifically on how sites are built, and we’re all about continuous improvement, so if you like digging in and figuring out what we need to do, you’ll love the challenge of building this area of the Netlify platform.
We are looking for someone who:
- Has a history of working in Open Source projects and interacting with a community of developers
- Has a breadth of experience in NodeJS and have a solid understanding of how modern web technologies work and how our customers use them
- Has some high-level exposure to other compiled programming languages like Go, C++, Rust. Our main language is Go, but we also have projects that are in Rust, C++, and Ruby. We believe in picking the right language for the right problem.
- Possesses a high level of comfort with static build systems like Gatsby or Hugo, or front-end build tools like Webpack, Gulp, Grunt, etc.
- Has a good sense of what makes a good product and developer experience
- Lead by example, seek to understand through active listening and questioning, actively address problems you identify and assume responsibility for your work.
Things you’ll do in this role:
- Partner with our Backend Engineering team to build integrations between our Node build execution library and our internal Buildbot
- Ship multiple features to actively progress the usage of Netlify tools in development environments.
- Extensively contribute to various open source repos
- Drive and push for new or improved strategies to help scale our development practices
- Partner with our leadership team to level up the team and continually improve the platform and help run major initiatives on your pod
- Coach and mentor other team members within Netlify’s engineering teams
Of everything we’ve ever built at Netlify, we are most proud of our team.
We believe that empowered, engaged colleagues do their best work. We’ll be giving you the tools you need to succeed and looking to you for suggestions to improve not just in your daily job, but every aspect of building a company. Whether you work from our main office in San Francisco or you are a remote employee, we’ll be working together a lot—paring, collaborating, debating, and learning. We want you to succeed! About 63% of the company are remote across the globe, the rest are in our HQ in San Francisco.
To learn a bit more about our team and who we are, make sure to visit our about page.
Not sure you meet 100% of our qualifications? Please apply anyway!
When applying please include: A resume or short listing of your job history & skills. (A link to a LinkedIn profile would be fine). A cover letter explaining why you would enjoy working in this role and why you’d like to work at Netlify would be great, though not required & will not impact your application. When we receive your application we’ll get back to you about the next steps.
Netlify is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are devoted to building a team of people with diverse backgrounds and lifestyles. We believe that the unique contributions of all Netlifolks is the driver of our success. We are all responsible for bringing on people from all walks of life. Driving equality empowers our team, enables us to innovate, and helps us maintain a more inclusive environment. We don’t discriminate against employees or applicants based on gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, religion, age, race, military/veteran status, citizenship, pregnancy status, or any other differences. If we can do anything to provide a better interview, i.e. accommodate a disability, then please let us know.