With more than 24,000 employees across the globe, Pearson is the world’s learning company, providing a range of products and services that help people make progress in their lives through learning.
Since 2001, our Online & Blended Learning division has reimagined K-12 education with full-time virtual schools for students who want a personalized, more flexible approach to learning. Our flagship products and services include Connections Academy, US-based online public charter schools; International Connections Academy, a global online private school; and Pearson Connexus, our comprehensive online school program for school districts nationwide.
Our company culture is built around our motto “Always Learning” and a set of core values that we live by: brave, imaginative, decent, accountable, curious, customer-centric, and collaborative.
Pearson is on the lookout to build a world class team of Software developers with excellent exploratory and investigation skills, to work collaboratively with the Product Support team in resolving complex software issues in Production. The candidates should be inspired coders who can break down the world into objects and classes and can’t wait to try something new. We want software engineers who are excited to solve old problems in new ways, and who think in terms of scalability, efficiency, and practicality.
The Software Engineers design, develop, and maintain the applications that comprise our platform with a specific emphasis on usability, performance, and scalability.
- Assist and mentor Software Engineer I’s by providing technical insight, recommendations and requirements;
- Adhere to and contribute to development policies, procedures, and standards;
- Determine solutions to obstacles during the software engineering process;
- Work with Software development teams to understand issues submitted by customers and staff, determine the root cause by debugging and working with QA team. Develop software fixes by studying existing technology architecture; analyzing browser compatibility techniques; evaluating solution alternatives, programming objects, events, functions, error trapping, and data verification; and completing documentation.
- Maintain technical knowledge by participating in educational opportunities, reading professional publications. maintaining personal networks, and participating in professional organizations.
- Respond to occasional system errors, including during the off hours.
- Accomplish department and organization missions by completing related tasks as needed.
- Other duties as assigned
Pearson Online & Blended Learning is focused on providing a flexible work environment to its employees, including the ability to work from home on a regular basis in most positions. We believe that flexibility in work/life balance is a critical part of our culture and employee satisfaction, and we are proud to provide our employees the ability to work from anywhere, anytime. In exchange, we require that employees have the appropriate means to work remotely, including adherence to our work at home policies regarding home office setup, including but not limited to the privacy of records, technology standards, equipment standards and expectations.
The following equipment will be provided to you by the company as a full-time employee:
- Laptop and phone
The following equipment will need to be provided by you, as the employee, when working from home:
- 2nd monitor (required)
- Mouse (required)
- Keyboard (required)
For your application to be considered, you must have the following:
- At least four years developing object-oriented Web applications using .NET
- Excellent troubleshooting and debugging skills, ability to find root cause of issues
- Experience with Azure DevOps(ADO), Visual Studio Team System(VSTS) or Team Foundation System (TFS)
- Strong working knowledge of bug tracking systems such as ADO, JIRA, DevTrack etc
- Excellent SQL skills, with the ability to quickly generate complex SQL queries from an entity-relationship diagram
- The ability to demonstrate work experience by providing examples, samples, and source code
In addition, the ideal candidate will have:
- Experience in C# or Azure
- AWS or other PAAS experience
- Experience with Test-Driven Development (TDD)
- Experience working with Production Support teams
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, ability to communicate at different levels in the organization
- Experience working on Agile teams, especially if work experience includes working in SAFE
- Total Years Experience 0-5