Wikimedia Foundation is hiring a remote Senior Visual UX Designer. This is a full-time position that is 100% remote with no geographical restrictions. Work remotely from anywhere. Wikimedia Foundation – The non-profit that operates Wikipedia.
The Wikimedia Foundation is a non-profit organization supporting Wikipedia and other Wiki projects. The Foundation operates one of the world’s top five websites and has global reach and impact. Technology and innovation are critical in our quest to support every human in freely sharing knowledge.
The Product Design and Strategy Group at Wikimedia is looking for a Senior Visual UX Designer with a solid understanding of user experience and product processes. You will be working with a talented team of designers to create and maintain Wikipedia and other Wiki projects. In this role you will work with the team to evolve the aesthetics of our projects in light of a rebrand, whilst also fostering a respect for our visual legacy and unique history.
You will be responsible for…
- Working closely with product designers to develop and adapt new brand identity guidelines to work across all relevant product touchpoints, including mobile apps (iOS, Android, KaiOS) and web (mobile and desktop).
- Creating and championing documentation for visual design standards and principles.
- Developing information design standards for reporting complex data, such as charts, graphs, geo-tagged information, flow maps, process diagrams and timelines.
- Creating simple, clear and inspiring graphics and user flows to support the continual evolution of the foundation websites (eg. wikimedia.org).
- Providing communication and design support for key presentations within the team, including collateral for blog posts and bringing visual delight to product launches and special projects (eg. Wikipedia’s 20th birthday celebrations)
- Creating educational materials to help simplify and educate the public about how Wikipedia works.
- Helping the team define our overall illustration style and approach.
Skills and experience….
The right person is better than the right set of experiences. These are the traits we’ve identified that make great additions to our team so far.
- Training and / or a background in communication design and product design.
- Experience working on a digital product(s) demonstrated by a strong portfolio of work solving clear user needs in a thoughtful, intentional manner.
- Strong visual design and iconography skills, with the ability to express ideas, data and other information using different visual styles and methods for different audiences.
- A solid understanding of interaction design patterns and some experience designing for motion.
- A good understanding of accessibility standards and how to apply them to your designs.
- A great communicator, with the ability to get your ideas across clearly and simply.
- Comfortable working in a collaborative environment and able to inspire others with your ideas, whilst also accepting direction and being flexible to changes when needed.
- Highly self-motivated, showing the passion and motivation to complete tasks to the best of your ability, whilst always looking for opportunities to develop your skills further.
Additionally, we’d love it if you have…
- Illustration and animation skills
- Basic coding experience in processing or js.
- Experience testing your designs with different audiences
- Experience working in interdisciplinary remote teams
- Experience contributing to Wikimedia projects
The Wikimedia Foundation is…
…the nonprofit organization that hosts and operates Wikipedia and the other Wikimedia free knowledge projects. Our vision is a world in which every single human can freely share in the sum of all knowledge. We believe that everyone has the potential to contribute something to our shared knowledge, and that everyone should be able to access that knowledge, free of interference. We host the Wikimedia projects, build software experiences for reading, contributing, and sharing Wikimedia content, support the volunteer communities and partners who make Wikimedia possible, and advocate for policies that enable Wikimedia and free knowledge to thrive. The Wikimedia Foundation is a charitable, not-for-profit organization that relies on donations. We receive financial support from millions of individuals around the world, with an average donation of about $15. We also receive donations through institutional grants and gifts. The Wikimedia Foundation is a United States 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organization with offices in San Francisco, California, USA.
As an equal opportunity employer, the Wikimedia Foundation values having a diverse workforce and continuously strives to maintain an inclusive and equitable workplace. We encourage people with a diverse range of backgrounds to apply. We do not discriminate against any person based upon their race, traits historically associated with race, religion, color, national origin, sex, pregnancy or related medical conditions, parental status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, genetic information, or any other legally protected characteristics.
If you are a qualified applicant requiring assistance or an accommodation to complete any step of the application process due to a disability, you may contact us at email@example.com or (415) 839-6885.
U.S. Benefits & Perks*
- Fully paid medical, dental and vision coverage for employees and their eligible families (yes, fully paid premiums!)
- The Wellness Program provides reimbursement for mind, body and soul activities such as fitness memberships, baby sitting, continuing education and much more
- The 401(k) retirement plan offers matched contributions at 4% of annual salary
- Flexible and generous time off – vacation, sick and volunteer days, plus 19 paid holidays – including the last week of the year.
- Family friendly! 100% paid new parent leave for seven weeks plus an additional five weeks for pregnancy, flexible options to phase back in after leave, fully equipped lactation room.
- For those emergency moments – long and short term disability, life insurance (2x salary) and an employee assistance program
- Pre-tax savings plans for health care, child care, elder care, public transportation and parking expenses
- Telecommuting and flexible work schedules available
- Appropriate fuel for thinking and coding (aka, a pantry full of treats) and monthly massages to help staff relax
- Great colleagues – diverse staff and contractors speaking dozens of languages from around the world, fantastic intellectual discourse, mission-driven and intensely passionate people
*Please note that for remote roles located outside of the U.S., we defer to our PEO to ensure alignment with local labor laws.