- Wikipedia is an incredible community and a valuable educational resource. But the experience for new users has fallen behind, holding back Wikipedia’s potential to achieve its goal: a world in which every single human being can freely share in the sum of all knowledge. There remains a large gap between traditional knowledge institutions — universities, libraries, archives, museums — and Wikipedia. Wiki Education’s mission is to bridge that gap, finding ways to bring new contributors and new knowledge to Wikipedia. As a small nonprofit with a technology stack outside of Wikipedia’s own legacy infrastructure, we have the freedom to experiment with new ideas, iterate quickly, and tackle big problems. We’ll build great free and open source technology, nurture a vibrant development community, and — if we can pull it off — save Wikipedia by supporting the next generation of contributors.
- Minimum qualifications
- Excellent communication skills
- Strong HTML and CSS skills
- Experience with React
- Experience with Ruby on Rails
- Bonus qualifications
- Experience deploying and scaling Rails apps
- Experience maintaining open source software projects with many contributors
- Experience mentoring junior developers
- Visual and UI design expertise
- i18n and/or a11y expertise
- Salesforce configuration experience
- Experience with payment systems
- WordPress development experience
- Wikipedia editing experience
- Familiarity with the US higher education system
- About the position
Trips to San Francisco for Wiki Education all-staff meetings are required twice per year. Applicants must be legally authorized to work in the United States.
$80,000 – $110,000 (depending on experience), with generous benefits
- To apply
Send a cover letter and résumé to email@example.com.
- Salary Offered $80K - $110K