- Flexible/remote work friendly environment
- Greenfield project
- Technology first company
- Work with exciting AI & mobile tech
- Join an experienced tech & product team
There is a proliferation of high quality content on the internet. As the volume of this content increases, finding, organising, and managing this content is becoming more difficult.
We feel that it is time for a fresh new solution to the above problem.
Ukufu* (pronounced oo – koo – foo) is a new AI powered content aggregation and content organisation mobile application for professionals.
Watch a short video message from the CEO about this role.
Our mission is bold: Build an intelligence layer around the 10 000 English news-related content pieces that get published every day. Then use this layer to power an easy-to-use category based content aggregation app, that helps professionals efficiently consume, and organise their content across multiple content sources.
Our headquarters are in the Sydney CBD but we have team members around the world. Even before Covid-19, our team was distributed across Australia and the world. Thus, post Covid-19, this role can be on-site, remote or a mix of both. This role does require at least a 4 hour crossover with the Sydney time-zone.
We work hard at fostering a focused and friendly workplace, where team members are able to do their best work.
We are looking for someone with outstanding technical experience, a mature attitude and a preference for working with a small smart team, to join us in the role of Technical Lead at Ukufu.
This role includes hands-on development work as well as mentoring, building out the team when applicable, code reviews and systems architectural design. You will work directly with the CEO as well as the development and product team.
Our team of 8 currently consists of 2 engineers (excluding the Tech Lead).
Our non-engineering team members include a UX/Design Lead and Product Manager. Our current stack includes Python, ReactJS, Flutter, Containerisation (ECS/Fargate) and Serverless (Lambda).
- Strategise with the business and product teams to determine priorities and goals.
- Lead technical discussions and decisions.
- Advocate best practice software engineering principles within the team.
- Drive process in an agile environment.
- Fill the role of a Scrum master, directing various ceremonies, e.g. Planning sessions, retrospectives, Sprint showcases, etc.
- Ensure a constant operational awareness of the platform health and team effectiveness.
- Identify gaps in team capabilities and be involved in the hiring process.
- Analyse data in order to help identify areas for improvement in the product, process and team.
- Mentor the team in both engineering and process-related areas.
- Assist with actively developing the application.
- At least 10 years of relevant experience in a software development role.
- Experience designing and building complex software solutions and related infrastructure.
- Strong understanding of data pipelines in distributed computing settings.
- Experience with Web scraping, preferably in Python.
- Experience in handling large datasets.
- Experience building, configuring and maintaining a mobile-related application stack.
- Strong background in OO development with a proficient understanding of fundamental principles such as TDD.
- Familiarity working with Amazon AWS services (e.g.ECS/Fargate, EKS, Serveless, RDS, Elastic Cache and Kinesis, etc).
- DevOps experience.
- Working experience with Linux.
- Mature attitude.
- Experience leading and managing a technical team.
- Excellent written and verbal skills.
- Exceptional attention to detail and the ability to manage multiple high priority projects and tasks.
- Passion for solving complex technical problems.
- Enjoy working in a fast-moving environment.
- Working knowledge of the latest Machine Learning/NLP techniques and technologies.
- Experience with Dart and Flutter.
- Has contributed to open source projects (provide examples if available).
- Experience managing distributed technical teams.
- Comprehensive understanding and experience with system security.
- Relevant University degree.