Grafana is hiring a remote UX/UI Designer. This is a full-time position that is 100% remote with no geographical restrictions. Work remotely from anywhere. Grafana – The open observability platform.
Location: Remote in EU and US-east time zones but we also have an office in Stockholm (Sweden), Berlin (Germany), and New York City (USA).
Grafana Labs is the company behind Grafana, an open source dashboarding tool for visualizing and analyzing metrics. It’s commonly used for infrastructure and application monitoring, but we’ve also seen installations to monitor things like beehives, power-plants, or even ambulances. Grafana’s mission is to democratize metrics: users can create dashboards that help them get insights into how their applications behave, enabling them to iterate, take action and improve faster. Commercially, Grafana Labs sells enterprise support plans and has a hosted metrics/logs offering.
We are a family-friendly company (lots of us have kids) and consider ourselves a remote/distributed company. Even if you are located near our office in Stockholm (or Berlin), working from home is both common and encouraged.
UX Team at Grafana
Grafana has at least 2.7 million users, so improving the user experience will have a huge impact. A lot of other systems integrate with it and there are many points where this can be a challenging experience, especially for new users. As a UX Designer in the Grafana team, you will be working closely with the engineers and other UX designers on an every-day basis and will be interacting with the Grafana open source community and some of our customers.
We would like to grow our UX team from 3 to 6 people over the next year. Our backlog is full of work waiting for you. You will be able to mix more strategic and high level work with creating mockups. You may be working on a new software onboarding experience, try to solve complex navigation issue such as dashboard search, work on tricky interactions in visualisation editing panel or produce mockups for the new User Profile page. You can count on fast feedback cycles: We run company-wide feedback sessions weekly, and our software is continuously being released – your ideas will be put into users’ hands very quickly.
- You are comfortable working in a remote-first company; communication is key. For us, working together means being collaborative, friendly, kind and respectful. We operate by consensus, you can contribute to a discussion but then commit to the team decision.
- You have at least a couple of years of experience as a UX or UI designer. We are a small Design Team working remotely on a product used by almost 3 million users – the ability to work on your own and ship designs is crucial.
- You have a good understanding of a holistic UX process and have a strong user-centered approach when making design decisions. You easily build an understanding of users’ context, goals, and motivations.
- You enjoy talking to users to gather and evaluate requirements and ideas. At the same time, you know how to recognize ideas and solutions that bring the biggest value to them and have the biggest impact on their experience.
- You know how to transform insights into ideas – you are able to prototype and validate them by yourself, through further research or usability testing. You are able to communicate those ideas clearly and are solid in written and spoken English.
- You have a good understanding of accessibility in web solutions and have experience designing solutions that follow accessibility standards.
- You enjoy working on complex solutions – Grafana is a highly technological solution and has avid followers who rely on it every day and care deeply about their workflows.
We’d ask you to provide a portfolio that does not only shows nice pictures, but also mentions your actual process and concrete contribution to the respective projects.
What’s it like to work with Grafana Labs?
At our core Grafana Labs is an open company. We believe that open source is the superior way to build and deliver software. We also believe in being open and transparent with our employees. We believe that transparency breeds trust and that trust is the foundation of great teamwork. We actively seek to break down silos, empower employees with information and allow people to “see the whole picture”. This transparency extends to our strategy, our financials, our successes and failures. We empower our team to make their own decisions and trust that they will try to do the right thing.
We are a remote first team. Our three founders are on three different continents and our team of 100 global employees are based in 20 different countries. Hiring remotely unlocks the broadest, most diverse, most talented pool of potential employees. It also means that we have built our culture around a flexible and autonomous work environment based on trust.
Working at Grafana Labs can unlock the next step in your career as you will be able to both attend and speak at conferences. Some of our staff also teach at university and startup accelerators.
Equal Opportunity Employer
At Grafana Labs we’re building a company where a diverse mix of talented people want to come, stay, and to do their best work. We know that our company runs on the smart work and dedication of our passionate and creative employees. We will recruit, train, compensate and promote regardless of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, disability, age, veteran status and all the other fascinating characteristics that make us different and unique. We believe that equality and diversity builds a strong organisation and we’re working hard to make sure that’s the foundation of our organisation as we grow.