The Engineering team at Smile.io believes in being proud of your code, owning what you ship, and embracing new tools to increase developer happiness. We also like to focus on learning, architecture, and platform health. We ship early and often, using feature flags to get our code in the hands of end-users as soon as possible. We also rely on data, user research, and product feedback to make and shape important features and decisions.
- Build scalable systems, using best practices around automation, pushing changes that improve reliability and velocity
- Support services before they go live through activities such as system design consulting, developing software platforms and frameworks, planning and reviews
- Maintain services once they are live by measuring and monitoring availability, latency and overall system health.
- Provide mentorship and training to other team members on technologies and processes; drive education and knowledge transfer of design patterns, technical practices, and relevant technologies and tools
- Drive high standards around incident response practices and policies
- Gather requirements and make thoughtful tradeoffs to ensure we are focusing our efforts on the most impactful projects.
- Work on services and tools to proactively improve the quality and reliability of our production API.
- Debug production issues across services and multiple levels of the stack. Improve operational standards, tooling, and processes.
What we’re seeking:
- Minimum 5 years software development experience.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, similar technical field or equivalent practical experience.
- Intermediate to advanced cloud experience with AWS, infrastructure as code with Terraform, containerization with Kubernetes is preferred.
- Prior experience (2-4 years) improving the reliability of a SaaS product is preferred
- Prior experience operationally supporting a SaaS product.
Additional traits or experience we’d love to see (you don’t need them all to apply):
- Have prior experience supporting the reliability of and/or developing on an API-based product.
- Can think intuitively about systems and services and write high quality code. We work mostly in Ruby, with very occasional Elixir and Go.
- Hold yourself and others to a high bar when working with production systems.
- Have experience authoring and operating high-scale services, as well as debugging complex systems.
- Take pride in working on projects to successful completion involving a wide variety of technologies and systems.
- Thrive in a collaborative environment involving different stakeholders and subject matter experts.
- Enjoy working with a diverse group of people with different expertise. Comfortable in collaborating with other teams such as Sales and Support in sharing feedback from our customers
- Total Years Experience 5-10